dimarts, 5 de gener del 2010

red and yellow..red and yellow...red and yellow

Happy New Year all! And with all these warnings of snow, a warning of my own, “No mengis neu groga!” hmm...anyway... I am aiming to venture away from my usual blogs where I digress about anything Barcelona and football in general. Despite this it is getting harder to find original topics.

Nevertheless I shall talk about a symbol of Cataluña which I believe hasn’t previously been touched upon; the ‘senyera’ or to us beginners of the language, the flag.
It is based on the coat of arms of the Crown of Aragon which palpably represented the King of Aragon himself. Not only is this flag used for the Catalonian cities of Spain but also on a quarter of the coat of arms in Andorra, for the French municipal Pyrénées-Orientales, and the flag of the pays of Rousillon. Of course the flag doesn’t simply represent Spanish cities but all places of Cataluña.

It is one of the oldest flags to date however it was not continuous in its use...of course it was banned under the regime of Franco as was anything else autonomous. Despites this it has survived the times and is still in use in modern day. There are a variety of the flag used for different municipals and these can be seen on the link below. (Sorry for the use of Wikipedia :s) My personal favourite is from Aragon, not that there is a great difference between them all. It’s also interesting to see that the Catalan football team’s kit is the same pattern and colours...argh thats definitely football again.



On that note I shall end the blog. In these grim times you could think of the warm colours of the Catalan flag to brighten up your day?! ...or not I suppose




Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada