diumenge, 11 d’octubre del 2009

Festivals of Catalonia

Trying to find something to write about the Catalan lifestyle or Catalonia itself isn't that hard, trying to decide which one interests me more is, as there are too many to choose from, music, dance, film, I could go on. I have chosen to write about some of the festivals in Catalonia, as it shows the vibrant character's we can imagine them having.
I have chosen to write about only two of the many festivals I have found on the internet, as to write about all of them(in detail) would take a while, and probably the whole blog, so I have chosen two which I found the most interesting, and different to the festivals we have in England.

Correfoc( fire run), is the first tradition that caught my eye. They use the figue of the devil, not as an image of evil, but festive characters. This festival includes the 'devils' playing with fire, whilst onlookers closeby watch and listen to the music of the drums. This festival would not be complete without, the firecrackers. These are set off whilst people dance.

The biggest and maybe the most spectacular festival I found was Colles Castelleres, which is celebrated in Catalonia. It involves groups of people forming human towers, even up to 10 levels high( this is why I think it is the most spectacular). This tradition started in the Tarragona region,but has now spread to other parts of Catalonia, Majorca and parts of Spain. (Pictures can be seen via google, or videos via youtube.)

(Correfoc research : http://blog.barcelona-home.com/life-in-barcelona/correfoc.html
Colles Castelleres research: http://castellersdebarcelona.cat/moncasteller/introduccio/en)

Sian xx

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada